Independent student newspaper of Bishop’s University

By Mikayla Geraghty – Staff Writer

On Thursday, April 4, the Motionball committee hosted their annual charity dodgeball tournament. All proceeds of the tournament go towards supporting Special Olympic athletes pursuing their sport.

The final fundraising event of the 2023-2024 school year ended with a bang, welcoming 12 teams made up of varsity athletes and students who eagerly signed up to participate in the tournament. Special Olympian Shelby was in attendance, playing alongside the women’s soccer team. Over 60 games flew by in the Sports Plex, two games running simultaneously on a split court.

Photo courtesy of Mikayla Geraghty

The Toronto Raptors donated a Gradey Dick jersey to the event to be raffled off and aid in maximizing fundraising. The raffle was highly anticipated and a huge success among participants. The tournament raised $415 in total.

The Gaiters football team walked away as the 2024 tournament winners, rising victorious over the lacrosse team in the finals. Jean Aubert of the winning team stated that the tournament was a  “really great event for a good cause. Everybody was smiling and having fun”.  

The tournament spanned over three hours, with each team playing a minimum of three games in their brackets. The overall energy in the gym was high, with participants keen to play against their friends and peers in honour of a good cause.

“It was an electric environment,” shared Leighton Geraghty, Team Have Fun’s captain. “It’s always great to participate in events that connect both the general students and the varsity athletes. Win or lose, Team Have Fun lived up to the team name and had fun.”

Another member of Team Have Fun, Issac Flanagan, states that this was another successful event done by Motionball, with many participants and good times on the court. “Although my team didn’t win, I’d say we were the most stylish on the court, with smiles on our faces. We are big Motionball supporters and are willing to participate in any event. It won’t be the last time you’ll see the team Have Fun in the future!” 

Mikayla Geraghty is Motionball’s student engagement lead at Bishop’s. 

Trending

Blog at WordPress.com.